Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Graveyards


This is actually a collection of four different locations in one. All of which contain abandoned training bombers (Avro Ansons from WW2) and some other various aircraft of the same vintage. In Southern Alberta there were numerous WW2 training bases for the RCAF that are almost all abandoned or turned into publicly registered aerodromes (Innisfail, Lethbridge... etc.).

The first two aircraft locations I owe great thanks to my friend Bobby for finding. Without him, I probably wouldn't have even imagined that these amazing aircraft were left strewn about. The first aircraft I explored was the first one that Bobby found and told me about. I drove almost 4 hours just to see it, and I even ended up driving around aimlessly for about an hour extra while on the phone with Bobby because we were trying to figure out which range road the farm was on exactly. He knew the location visually more or less, so he didn't remember the exact road numbers.

After some re-traced steps and one huge sigh of relief, I found it. The location was an old farm with piles of junk strewn about surrounded by a fence and signs saying 'No Trespassing' and 'Beware of Dog.' I parked as best as I could so as to not be seen and hopped the fence. I made my trip very brief; in and out. The aircraft blew my mind and I was super glad to have seen it.

Bobby got my attention a second time when he posted yet another abandoned airplane. I humbly begged him to tell me where it was so I could check it out. Again, I made a trip down there to see this second aircraft. This second trip wasn't near as productive as the first, because it was during a crazy cold winter and the winds were torture. I was only there for about 20 minutes and the I had to leave and warm up.

Trip number three was again to the second plane. I was heading down to the Crowsnest Pass and wanted to make a second attempt at the other bomber since it was finally warm out. While photographing it one of the property owner's, a really nice lady, explained to me that the bomber actually belonged to the Nanton Lancaster Museum and that it was being stored at their place until they could find something to do with it. She also invited me to fly to their place at any time and land at their private airstrip!

The coolest thing she told me after that was that she knew of a scrap-yard also owned by the museum where there were many, many more bombers all bunched together. With the new directions I headed on my way.

This third aircraft location was mind-blowing. Not only was there about 30 WW2 vintage bombers all scrapped and abandoned, but there were old cars and an abandoned house quite unusual in shape and design. The lady called it the 'Cancer House, because it looked like a bunch of tumour growths.

I spent nearly two hours exploring and photographing the planes and other cool machinery and then headed down the road again. On my way South, I passed through the small town of Nanton, where I stumbled across location #4. Just near the edge of Nanton is a small collection of Avro Anson parts and an old Beech 18.

I could not believe how many of these planes were abandoned. I guess looking back on it now, it totally makes sense. There were dozens of training bases and none of those planes actually saw combat, so they had to end up somewhere. Here in Southern Alberta is this large chunk of history that has been preserved through some aircraft and photos and museums, but in majority sits lost and exposed to the elements. It would cost far too much to preserve them all and so for myself, seeing the collections hidden in random locations has finally given me a true image of just how large the training operations were. It was one thing to see a plane in the museum, but it was quite different to walk through dozens of them neglected and essentially, left to die.



4 comments:

  1. What an amazing opportunity to see and shoot these planes before they totally rot away to bare shells and nuts and bolts.

    Great series of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my family owns the property with the abundance of Ansons, cars, and the "cancer house". I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, trespassing is an admirable hobby. Also I'm sorry the house's architecture offended you. Please allow me to know your address so that I can go for a stroll around it and take pictures, to see how a nice house should look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your family designed and built it, I'm sorry to have offended you. I edited my post so that my personal oppinion of it is less apparent.

    As for the trespassing, if I knew you I definitely would have asked first. It's not easy to ask permission when you don't know anything about the property owner and you're just passing through.

    I apologise for trespassing, but I imagine almost anyone would be tempted to do the same if they saw something so amazing and rich in history sitting in a random field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trespassing is not a good idea as that location is patrolled by the RCMP. The color picture is of a rear fusleage of a Fairchild Bolingbroke medium bomber that was recovered from Stettlar Alberta a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete